Yona Tukuser scraped the ashes of the cremated hopes and dreams of modernity and, mixing with paint and sound, created «Anthropophage».
The concept album «Anthropophage» -
is a Black Diamond for the best hunters of taste.
This is an experience only for the most daring. A journey in which you can meet yourself if you find the Black Diamond in the dark.
Released 7 May 2021
Sounds of Inanition Hunger Delirium
«Anthropophage» is debut concept album by Yona Tukuser, featuring trembling electronic sound improvisations created in Rome from 2016 to 2021.
«In the album «Anthropophage» I tell the story of a silently boy, a boy who, after seeing his mother to eat his brother's body, ran out on the road to scream the horror of what he saw to people, but instead of words, he began to make only scraping sounds. The boy became dumb from the experience.
Today I am trying to extract a muffled sound from the past, as I experience the tragedy of mute boy, his silent and closed world, his horror, his lack of love. On behalf of the children who were eaten, died and survived from hunger, I want to tell the world their story through the vibrating pain of my sound compositions».
«While working on the album «Anthropophage», I read an autobiographical book by Klaus Kenneth «Born to hate Reborn for love». The writer who nearly died of hunger as a child, says that «stronger than hunger is lack of love». These are the most powerful words I have ever heard. I know from the famine survivors in Ukraine (where I was born) that famine is the worst death, but I could not imagine that a lack of love could be worse than starvation».
The cover of the album is a creative interpretation of the historical image; a child, frightened by the madness of adults, quench his hunger with his boots. Each composition on the album tells the true story: «A Woman Ate Her Daughter From The Grave», «Stole The Bride From The Wedding And Ate Her», «A Woman Slaughtered Her Son And Sold Him».
«Experimental music that breaking all criteria», - a curators of the Submit Hub describe the album «Anthropophage», - «atmospheric sound, mysterious vibe»; «The magical flow of the compositions, captivating soundscape created an alluring, but somewhat hunting feel to that entire progression, offering a light, but eerie atmosphere to its performance».
«Anthropophage» is a tragic story about the inevitable loss of man's battle with nature». Improvising with sounds, Yona extracts the tune of hope and despair from the abyss of dumb nature, where life and death merge into one and become indistinguishable.
The sounds in the album «Anthropophage» are a palette from which Yona creates a terrifying musical painting of the sunset‘s suffocating atmosphere at sunrise.
/Anthropophage, this is a man who eats human flesh, a cannibal. To anthropophage, we humans are nothing but meat. We are prey, not enemies. Also, the word Anthropophage is a metaphor for the state as an apparatus for violence, oppression, trampling on the dignity of the human person. /
1. Improvising with sounds, Yona extracts the tune of hope and despair from the abyss of dumb nature, where life and death merge into one and become indistinguishable.
2. Cannibalism allows us to see a concept of life history that corresponds to the universal insensitivity of nature to the lives of individuals, that nature which, by constantly destroying ephemeral forms, draws life from death.
3. Сomposition «Hunger Will Destroy Us Before Slavery Comes» is a story about Mary of Bethezuba. Is a story of cannibalism told by Josephus Flavius in his a book «The Jewish War», which occurred as a consequence of famine during the siege of Jerusalem in August AD 70 by Roman legions commanded by Titus.
The name of the composition «Hunger Will Destroy Us Before Slavery Comes» is a quote from the book «The Jewish War».
«Maddened by hunger she took the infant at her breast and said to him: “Poor little mite! In war, famine, and civil strife why should I keep you alive? With the Romans there is only slavery and that only if alive when they come; but famine is forestalling slavery, and the partisans are crueler than either. Come you must be food for me, to the partisans an avenging spirit, and to the world a tale, the only thing left to fill up the measure of Jewish misery”. And in “defiance to all natural feeling” she killed her son, then roasted him and ate».
4. Children were horrified by the madness of their parents, who lost their minds from starvation and killed them to eat them, turning their womb into a «grave» for their child.
5. Guided by the instinct of hunger, they eat with equal greed grass, and their own or other people's children.
6. We ate leather shoes and soles.
7. They slaughtered their children and ate them… what to do, if there is nothing to eat, he dies of hunger.
8. A woman slaughtered her son, boiled him and sold him at the market.
9. A small child was lying in the cradle with his leg аnd hand eaten by his mother.
10. I see on the way a woman eating from a dead horse.
11. They poured soup for him to eat, and he saw his child's toes and hands on the plate.
12. A woman ate her husband and childrens.
13. A dog grabbed the dead man by the legs and began to eat.
14. She Had Put Her Children In The Stove
15. This woman took her daughter out of the grave and baked and ate her.
16. People ate their children, when they had nothing to light a fire with, they ate them raw.
17. They stole the bride from the wedding, slaughtered her and ate her.
18. All the elderly say: hunger - this is the worst thing! This is scarier than war!
19. The names of 19 and 20 compositions are quotes from the scientific article by Yona Tukuser - «Projection of a Metamodern Method for the Study of the Famine in Bessarabia in 1946-1947 Reflected in Historical Painting».
«In composition №19 «Hunger Suppresses The Unconditional Reflex» I am inspired by the following words of Pitirim Sorokin, who studied the effects of hunger on the human brain: "Hunger suppresses the unconditional reflex in people who have reached anthropophagy. This characterizes the historical periods of social transformations, wars, epidemics».
20. The name of the composition №20 «The Fire Of Biological Impulses Erupts» is a continuation of the quote from №19: «The bark of social forms of behavior is destroyed, the fire of biological impulses erupts and instead of a cultural socius, you see a wild animal, completely unlike a cultural being».
21. The flammable body of our society in the 20th century synthesized a huge amount of adrenaline. With constantly increased production of adrenaline, a disease state develops.
The diagnosis of our society today, at the beginning of the 21st century, can be defined as the incinerated waste of adrenaline - adrenochrome.
Humanity is in a chronic adrenochromic state with schizophrenic manifestations.
When with a human child hunger is not satisfied by lack of food, but by abundance. When love is manifested, not through tenderness, but through kicks, humiliation, murder ... eating human, of the beloved. As a consequence, disintegration is inevitable for our society in its current form.